BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR ADOPTION/FOSTERING.
- Age- at least 25years of age.
- Responsible and matured adult.
- Complete the application form.
- Share information of background and lifestyle
- Provide relative and non-relative references.
- Show proof of marriage/divorce if applicable.
- Matured/responsible singles can also adopt.
- Provide criminal history if any.
- Attend trainings to learn about issues of abuse and neglected children.
- Adequate sleeping space.
- Allow not more than six (6) children in a home.
- Provide day care if employed.
- Agree to physical discipline policy.
- Permit fire, health and safety inspections of the home.
- Vaccinate all pets
- Obtain and maintain first aid certification.
- Obtain tb testing as required by health workers.
- Proof of income/bank statement.
- Utility bill of current address.
CHARACTERISTICS NEEDED TO BE A GOOD FOSTER OR ADOPTIVE PARENT.
- Being stable
- Godly attribute
- Ability to advocate for children
- Being a good team player with your family/worker
THINGS YOU NEED TO DO/NOTE.
- Learn ways to nurture/care for children
- Let the child be surrounded with the right people
- The more people the child knows, the more his/her confidence and social interaction is developed.
- Read about support available to families who adopt.
- Provide permanent homes and a lifelong commitment to children into adulthood.
- Provide for the short- term and long term needs of children
- Provide for children’s emotional, physical,
- Mental, social, cultural and educational needs.
- Be mindful of developmental age and growth of the child.
- Help children learn skills provide a positive influential role model